Monday, June 3, 2013

Fitness update

Well last Tuesday was the end of my personal training sessions. I feel like although not much has changed physically, I certainly learned a lot and I am ready to build on that. Hoping to go to the gym tonight or tomorrow and sign up for a 1 month trial membership.

Realistic Fitness goals this month:
Cardio 3x/ week
Strength training 2x/ week

Fitness Challenge this month:
Cardio 5x/ week
Strength training 3x/ week

The cardio part is pretty easy since I can work out on my lunch breaks at work, just gotta force myself to get up in the morning and go to the gym 2 or 3 days a week ~ the getting out of bed part is the biggest challenge whether for cardio or strength workouts :-p

Last week was pretty good for as far as running. Tuesday I ran my fastest 5k on the treadmill in 29:08 and I didn't have any knee pain so that make me even happier! I got in 12 miles of running for the week, including a couple on the trails, and my knee pain seemed to be less bothersome... but I only ran outside twice so that isn't much of a test.

I really want to get outside more this week/month and build up resistance to harder surfaces for my knee (or whatever it is that is being bothered and causing that knee pain.) I hope between that and the strength training, I can get back into training shape and start working towards another half marathon in the fall if all goes well.

In other news, I've been doing really well with watching what I eat on top of exercising more and have been able to lose 6 or 7 lbs in the past couple of months. I am sooooooooooo happy about that because:
1. It is annoying to see the scale creeping up, espec. when my 30th birthday is just around the corner ~ old AND fat is not ok with me lol
2. Summer is here and I want my pants, not to mention my swim suit, to fit!
3. The lighter I am, the faster I can run!

For the past couple of years I've yo-yod between 140 and 160lbs, closer to 150 consistently. My goal for June is to get back to 145 and goal for July is to be down to 140 or lower for my 30th birthday. Although "numbers don't matter" and "muscle weighs more than fat", I know what a fit weight for me is and 135-140 is definitely an acceptable goal. That end of the spectrum is harder for me to maintain as I get older but this time around it should be a lot easier because:
1.  I've developed some really good eating habits in the past 2+ months that I've been able to stick with
2. I plan on staying active and training for more races & continue strength training

So I'm feeling pretty optimistic going into June. Hopefully I can keep up the good work from the past few months and continue to build on it and get rid of this darn knee pain! Wish me luck!

No comments: