Monday, February 20, 2012

"30 Before 30" Bucket List

We had a little chat at work the other day about birthdays. A few of the early 20's girls were whining about their ages and it got the rest of us thinking: What birthday justifies the biggest freakout - aka signifies the biggest life change - and why?

Although 40 and 50 are big milestones, we really decided that 30 is the biggest change you hit. You are officially an adult at that point - no going back. Even into your later 20's you can get away with being more childish, waffling around about what direction you want your life to take, even still be living at home for whatever reason. But 30 and above - you really need to shape up, fly right, and figure out what direction your tornado of a life is heading - for the near future at least.

I am not so excited about having only 17 months left before I hit the big 3-0 but instead of whining about it, I decided to start planning. I have done so much in the past 10 years to be excited about and have so many stories to share with my friends and future children - why not add some more things to that list instead of freaking out? I also have so many awesome friends who are 30 and over and I realize life DOES go on once I become an official "adult" so why not get a good head start into that decade of my life.

In the spirit of planning and moving toward the big 3-0 with confidence instead of dread, I give you my "30 before 30" bucket list:

30 Before 30 Bucket List


Exercise Goals

1. Run a 5-k in 30 minutes or less

2. Run a 10-k in 60 minutes or less

3. Run a half marathon in 2.5 hours or less

4. Run a marathon in 5 hours or less

5. Meet my goal weight by 29th Birthday and stick to it for a year – unless I am preggers 

Travel Goals

6. Go see another Broadway show with Lukas in NYC

7. Go to French-speaking Canada

8. Go to Boston/Salem

9. Hike part of the Appalachian Trail

10. Beach vacation with Lukas

Crafting Goals

11. Free motion quilt a lap sized quilt

12. Learn to do needle turned applique

13. Finish a queen sized quilt for our bed

14. Sew a skirt

15. Sew a shirt or dress

Misc. Creative Goals

16. Re-learn basic cords and notation on my guitar

17. Start Mandolin/Banjo lessons (still undecided which)

18. Take a dance class with Lukas

19. Learn to cook more recipes/meals

20. Bake a YUMMY cheesecake – with a spring form pan (oooo fancy! ;-))

Personal Habits to establish/achieve

21. Read the BOM/Pearl of Great Price/Doctrine and Covenants beginning to end again

a. July 28 2012 – July 28, 2013

22. Establish a habit of dedicated prayed morning and night – not a hurried “before I shower/fall asleep” prayer

23. Make Family Home Evening a priority with Lukas

24. Read scriptures once a day with Lukas

25. Attend the temple regularly

Other

26. Move out of our 1 bedroom apartment

27. Learn to control my personal budget

28. Practice my French by speaking/reading/writing

29. Try something random/new/exciting!

30. Have an AWESOME birthday party :)

So there you have it - 30 things to accomplish in the next 17 months. I know my dear hubby will help and support me on this journey, as will my awesome friends, and I thank you all in advance for your support :)
 

Now... what I would like to know is: What are your goals? Maybe you don't have a big milestone coming up or a whole list, but what is something fun/new/interesting/important you would like to accomplish in your life/this year/ASAP? Do tell! :)

1 comment:

Millie Motts said...

Whew! So glad to know that life goes on after 30! ;)

Seriously though - this list is awesome!